Wednesday, December 08, 2010
I've been getting a few items worked on while I recover from surgery. I feel really good, which is a little deceiving. I have to remind myself that I had neck surgery two weeks ago and I'm still not fully healed.
This figure is the first one ready for paint that will go in my "Surrounded!" vignette. It's scratchbuilt except for the head and some web gear. I enjoy doing details like the cartridge belt even though it's totally frustrating sometime. I would probably choose to do the belt first next time I do one of these. Trying to fit it into the space I allowed was a little bit of a trick. I'm pleased enough with the result that I'm not going to redo it, but it's something to remember.
I took on a sizable commission last month as well. I'll be building the USS Constitution Fighting Top from Meteor Products as well as several figures that go with it. It has been challenging so far for a figure modeler. I read through the instructions and have to say that I find all the rigging a little daunting. I think the result will be pretty satisfying. The casting on the figures is a little hit-or-miss. Luckily, the package I got had an extra set of Marines included. I was able to mix and match some pieces to get the best components. The mold shift on a couple of the copies was so bad that a re-sculpt would have been warranted. Photos later when I get something substantial completed.