Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Clear workbench

I've wrapped up my work I planned to do over the summer. This is the last project I hoped to finish until August. I'll start painting the American Indian I sculpted a while back. I should have it all finished for Chicago. I'll be making some weapons from plastic in the meantime. Just a couple of small projects to fill in the gaps. I need to work out a new sculpting project. I have the beginnings of what I hope will be an ECW cavalryman on the charge. Ambitious for me because it will be mounted. More on that later.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Some painting

Well, I've been doing a little painting lately. I bought this figure second hand. I really like the coats on these characters. I painted Elite's Royal Horse Artillery a while back and really wanted to try another one of the coats. The figure was a little pitted/pebbled. I didn't find this out until I started to paint it. I thought I could live with the texture, but elected to strip and fix it. I smoothed it all down with scotch-brite pads and steel wool. I gave it a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000, and reprimed. This seemed to do the trick. It's all painted with oils over acrylic and printer's ink. I found the red hair hard to duplicate. I also had some difficulty getting access to the right side of the figure's face. I generally prefer to have the head as a separate piece. This one is cast in place and practically up against the coat collar. I did my best, but close scrutiny reveals the problems I had. It's still a great character and fun to paint. I did it in just under a month, which is pretty fast for me.

Here's a very good link about the character's history;

Kabul to Gandamak