Saturday, February 10, 2007

Saturday routine



I love Saturdays. I've come to really appreciate the relaxed mornings and the quiet afternoons of a typical Saturday. Many of my Saturdays are spent in this way; get coffee and breakfast and listen to Weekend Edition on NPR. After that I watch Bob Ross crank out a canvas painting until about 10:30. I try to be at the workbench by this time. These are ingredients to a good day at the workbench. Today is one of those Saturdays, the first for me in a while.

Anders and I made the trek to Tulsa last night for the monthly meeting. February is the club's annual swap-meet. I took several kits and sold a few of them. I managed to walk out without buying anything. The club gained a couple of new members due in large part to painting classes held at The Hussar. I've come to realize what a special situation we have in Tulsa. There is an active club, a unique shop in which we meet and a committed and creative core group of members. The club has a long reach as well, with members in Dallas, OK city, and of course here in Springfield, MO. I don't get to attend meetings as much as in the past. When I do get to go, I'm reminded of what a special situation we have with the partnership of HMSNEO and The Hussar.

Hobby commentary: I got invloved in a discussion on one of the armor modelling boards the other day regarding the difference between a diorama and a vignette. A difficult thing to quantify. My view has always been that I know one when I see it. I think some contest venues exacerbate this pigeon-holing problem when they have different classes for each. How do I enter my piece? Or worse, I need to make the base for my subject X" x Y" and include a vehicle and N figures so I can place my piece in the Dioramas category. I have to say, I'm glad that most figure exhibitions avoid this by having only two categories in the advanced division.

Workbench update: Painting progresses on the 1st SSF diorama. One figure is completed and the other is getting there. A couple of sessions at the bench should see the dioramas completion. I will have to touch up a few areas. I had to make some necessary repairs due to a small accident involving the kneeling figure. Not as bad as it could have been. I'll take photos and post them soon. Atlanta is coming soon and I'm just about ready.............

No comments: