Sunday, December 06, 2009

Leraning the craft II

In a post a while back I talked about some of the revelations I've figured out about sculpting proper anatomy. I've started to get a handle on anatomy through some practice. One thing I've gotten over is the fear of starting over. I've started to try to apply those same lessons to proper drapery. When I first started sculpting I noticed the way clothing lay in certain poses. Now when I observe clothing folds and drapery, I envision which tool I would use and how I would approach a certain difficult piece of drapery. I'm struck by the drapery of Taesung Harms and Raul Latorre. There are others that I think have a good handle on it as well, but I think these two fellows excel at getting this part of sculpting right. Lately I've worked out a few techniques of my own that have opened some doors for me. No matter how long you've been at this business, there's always something you can learn to do better.

Project update; The FPW Dragoon is almost done. Basically, the sword straps are all that's left. It's turning out very well. It's one of four or so figures that I think represent personal bests for OOB figures. I have slowed down on the Alamo Scouts dio. Another sculpting project is getting top bill right now. I'm working on a Union Soldier master. I like the face I have going and the figure is sculpted up to the coat tails. I use a bottom up approach, so I'd say it's about halfway completed. I'll be posting some photos after I complete the Dragoon.

No comments: