Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Post Chicago Enthusiasm


Actually, I had gotten over the modeling blahs just before the Chicago show. But, going to a show always inspires one to do more and better work. To encapsulate the show; there were many nice shadow-boxes and a few large dioramas that were ambitious to say the least. They were all very well executed. Also this year the Chicago show broke out a separate Fantasy category. I personally don't see a need for a separate Fantasy category, but I suppose that marketing such a thing will draw painters from the fantasy/sci-fi ranks. I entered a fantasy piece this year, but chose to leave it where it was. I suppose I should have entered in Fantasy and perhaps brought home another award. As it stands, I brought home a Silver for my vignette entitled "Recruiting for Dog Co." seen above in BW. I picked up a couple of commissions this weekend, and did a little other business. A well spent weekend, all in all.

I always enjoy the annual trek across the Illinois farm land. There are some very neat farms that, when viewed from the highway, seem to me to be out of a Norman Rockwell painting. In October, you can see the farmers bringing in the corn, soybeans and milo, or prepping the ground for the next crops. Also this time of year the leaves are beginning to turn. This adds to the scenery and the mood. I made the trip by myself this year, and spent a contemplative ride home. The whole process; drive out, attend show and visit with fellow artists, and drive home will hopefully kindle the enthusiasm until February and the Atlanta show.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I hadn't looked at your site in quite some time. I especially enjoyed the way the pictures displayed you posted on your birthday. Sorry about the "Mom", but I don't think I'm a bit prejudiced when I say what wonderful art you create. Now get back to that commission you're doing as a favor

John Long said...

Yes Mother!